Morse Nursery :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Sharing information learned from over 30 years of experience about plants, their care, soil requirements, successful establishment practices and beneficial relationship to wildlife is our primary purpose, however questions about products, root prune techniques and consulting services are welcome as well.  
new customer questions
Posted by: DJJ ()
Date: January 13, 2011 12:29AM

I have 4 areas on my property I would like to plant on this spring. My goal is to create fall and winter food and cover for deer and turkey. I'm in Saginaw County, MI (PLANT HARDINESS ZONE 5b -10F TO -15F) Property is surrounded by farmland.

1. 2 ACRES OLD PASTURE, NOW TALLER FIELD GRASS,VERY SANDY SOIL (PELLA SILT LOAM/LONDO LOAM), FULL SUN

What apples, oaks, bushes, shrubs, or berries would you recommend here?

2. 1 ACRE OLD PASTURE PLANTED AS FOOD PLOT LAST YEAR: ALFALFA, CLOVER, CHICORY, AND TURNIPS (PELLA SILT LOAM/SANILAC VERY FINE SANDY LOAM) PART SUN PART SHADE

What apples, oaks, bushes, shrubs, or berries would you recommend here for sunny and shady areas?

3. 4 ACRES BAD RIVER BOTTOM, FLOODS IN SPRING, STAYS WET, LOTS OF DEAD ASH (SOIL Sloan-Ceresco Complex (FF)) I plan on planting White Cedar and Black Spruce here for cover.

What apples, oaks, bushes, shrubs, or berries would you recommend here for sunny and shady areas?

4. 3 ACRES LARGER OPEN HARDWOODS. (SOIL Sloan-Ceresco Complex (FF)). ALL SHADE

What apples, oaks, bushes, shrubs, or berries would you recommend here for shady areas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new customer questions
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: January 17, 2011 05:22PM

Djj,
Well first of all most all fruit or nut producing trees and shrubs will require a minimum of 8 hours. The only shrub I grow that will tolerate full shade is spicebush. Having said this your area number 4 will not grow anything other than spicebush. Area number 3 will not support any apple trees. Oaks I would recommend in the sunny area would be Swamp White, Ware, Schuettes and Bodacious Bur. Shrubs would be Redosier, elderberry, winterberry, silky and flowering dogwoods. Area number 2 will grow many if not all of what we grow if you prep your soil with amendments like peat to hold moisture. Area 1 will grow anything also but you might consider adding some peat to increase aeration and drainage for the apple trees.
Thanks for the questions,
Charlie

Date: January 23, 2011 07:33PM

Thanks for the input Charlie,

I'm planning a 300 ft. windbreak/border along are #2 from above. I'm planning the first row (farthest north-running east to west) to be Blue Spruce. The next 2 rows I would like to be apples and oaks. I was thinking BurGamble Oak because of its shrub-like qualities. What apples would you recommend? I was looking at the Sweet Snack, it said this is one of only a few apples that can be put in tree tubes. Do the tubes damage apples? What others are OK in tubes? Do you recommend cages around other apple trees?

DJJ

Date: January 29, 2011 07:22PM

I would use Dwarf Chinkipin, Gambel or Gambel gobbler strain instead of bur x gambel. I would also go with the "crabapple collection" which would include sweet snack to you get lot's of different size and ripening fruit. Crabapples can tollerate tubes better than grafted apple trees but I would only leave the crabs in the tubes until they come out the top of the tube, then I would switch over to 2"x4" welded wire fence 5' tall. Apple trees like air movement around them. I would recommend for your apple trees our "Three times a charm" which consist of eating type grafted trees. Honeycrisp, Wolfriver, Golden delicious, Red Free, Enterprise, Liberty, Jonafree are just a few of what we offer.

Date: January 29, 2011 10:29PM

can I start the Gambel and Gambel Gobbler strains in tree tubes? I was planning on ordering 5 foot tree tubes.

Date: January 29, 2011 10:58PM

how far should spacing between the Gambel and Gambel Gobbler for a screen?

how far should spacing between the crabapple trees be for a screen?

Posted by: jmmf ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:24PM

I would like to plant some hybrid oaks and some fruit trees on my property but I want to make sure that I do not place them next to any other trees that would interfer with their growth. I live in northern Michigan and am in a sandy loam soil with some slight hills and a mixture of hardwoods and pine trees. Also what is a good spray for fruit trees? How often do you spray them? I have alot of questions but will ask a few at a time. Thanks

Date: February 12, 2011 05:27PM

I would not us a tube for bush type plants, I would use fencing right from the start.

Date: February 12, 2011 05:29PM

Spacing on Gambel Oak would be 8' on center and 12-20' on centers for Crabapple trees.

Date: February 12, 2011 05:35PM

Walnut trees are usually bad to plant next to and remember other trees can shade out fruit or nut producing plants as they get older. Plant on the north or south side of large trees to prevent this. They make home owner fruit sprays that are all in one type sprays available and most garden centers, they are easy to apply just follow the instructions on the label.

Posted by: baby1129 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 11:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.