Morse Nursery :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Sharing information learned from over 30 years of experience about plants, their care, soil requirements, successful establishment practices and beneficial relationship to wildlife is our primary purpose, however questions about products, root prune techniques and consulting services are welcome as well.  
Thicket Crabapple
Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: February 05, 2014 03:21AM

I have an area on the south end of my food plot that is shaded most of the day by overhanging bur oak. In your description I understand thicket crabapple trees grow to be approx. 8ft tall?

Was simply wondering if thicket crabbapple trees would grow well in areas along edges of food plots that see very little sun as a result of overhanging bur oaks?

Do you have other recommendations for locations such as these?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thicket Crabapple
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 08, 2014 01:47AM

Crabapples require sunlight to produce fruit, so this would not be a good choice. Persimmon will produce in shady spots like you describe, this might solve the problem but before I give you this recommendation you must not be in a zone any colder than 4B for them to be successful. These trees can be pruned by cutting the central leader to keep them from getting to big. Another consideration for a great plant would be dwarf chinkapin oak. These oaks are on my website, look them up and you will be impressed.

Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 10:27PM

Imagine the same would apply for your Hybrid Pear tree...would need a locatioin with more sunlight?

How about Highbush Cranberry?

When do your Dwarf Chinkapin drop its acorns & how tall are they when full grown?

Thanks,

Gerald

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 18, 2014 02:17AM

The same for Hybrid Pear, needs sunlight. Highbush Cranberry needs at least partial sunlight and is found in tree lines where they get mostly filtered light. Dwarf Chinkapin acorns ripen along with most white oaks in October/November. Most grow as a bush form to about 6-8’ but some will grow in the form of a small tree and could grow to about 20’. This is one of my favorite oaks.

Posted by: fosugus ()
Date: April 26, 2018 09:00AM

This is perfect kind of nursery that provides useful information to their followers that is very important for them. People buy quality essay papers from this topbritishessays.com site that provide professional writing helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.