Morse Nursery :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Sharing information learned from over 30 years of experience about plants, their care, soil requirements, successful establishment practices and beneficial relationship to wildlife is our primary purpose, however questions about products, root prune techniques and consulting services are welcome as well.  
black chokcherries
Posted by: destes53 ()
Date: February 03, 2012 03:28AM

I live in the North Texas area. just south of Dallas. I am looking to plant some berry bushes that I can make jelly and wine out of. What type berry bushes will grow in this area. I was raised in South Dakota where I grewup on Chokcherry jelly. Is there a type of chkecherry that will grow in this area.
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: black chokcherries
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 05, 2012 01:44PM

I grow several plants that would make good wine and jellies. Apache Blackberry, Nanking Cherry, Black Chokeberry, Concord and Catawaba Grapes, Whitney and Chestnut Crabapple, Plum, Persimmon and Raspberry just to get you started.

Posted by: destes53 ()
Date: February 07, 2012 03:40AM

Thank you for the info. But do you live in North Texas.

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 07, 2012 03:16PM

I don't live in Texas, we live and the nursery is in Michigan. My sons best friends grew up in the panhandle of northern Texas and has planted almost everything we grow with excellent results. pH can be on the high side and in that case you will need to add acid/sulfur to your soil to lower the pH to around something under 7 but not less than 6.5. Hope this is helpful and thanks for the questions.

Posted by: buwydolos ()
Date: January 18, 2018 01:26PM

that is the best technology our country has so far

Posted by: buwydolos ()
Date: January 18, 2018 01:32PM

that is the best technology our country has so far

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.