Morse Nursery :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Sharing information learned from over 30 years of experience about plants, their care, soil requirements, successful establishment practices and beneficial relationship to wildlife is our primary purpose, however questions about products, root prune techniques and consulting services are welcome as well.  
Planting Dates For Apple Trees
Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:29PM

I live in extreme NE Iowa. Was wondering the planting dates you would recommend for Bunches & Bunches Red Crabapple as well as your Apple Antanovka? Considering a fall planting of seedlings around mid or end of Sept or would it be best to wait until spring after the fear of frost is gone?

I see you also offer 1 - 2 year old root trapper container for these types of trees. Have experience only with your seedlings that arrive in jiffy containers. How tall are your root trapper trees compared to jiffy container trees when they arrive & would these trees generally produce fruit at an earlier age than seedlings due to the care they are given at the nursery for an additional year or two?

The spot I plan on planting them is about 10 - 15ft away from an existing tree line on the edge of a hay field in a row running north & south on a west facing slope. Nothing but open field w/ a crest of a hill to the east so will get sun early-mid morning & be in the shade mid-late afternoon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Planting Dates For Apple Trees
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: May 26, 2012 02:54PM

Fall planting is the best time to plant however 90% I'm guessing plant in the spring. You can plant some of our dormant nursery stock early spring and not worry about late frost so much or if you like receiving live living plants in full leaf you will want to wait until the frost is out of your area. The older root plants in the root trapper containers will produce usually soon because they are older plants. I like to tell customers your buy time not a better plant when you purchase older plant material. For fruiting and nutting trees and shrubs you want 6+ hours of sunlight for best fruiting results so it sounds like you have a good location. Thanks for the questions.

Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: June 06, 2012 06:53PM

Does Apple Antanovka need a pollinator or are they self pollinating?

I have planted a couple johnny-come-lately, purple haze, along with bunches & bunches of red crab apples in the past...have more bunches & bunches of red crabapples planted than any other variety.

If Apple Antanovka are not self pollinating, how close to a pollinator must they be? Could bunches & bunches of red crabapple be used as a pollinator?

Thanks,

Gerald

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: June 07, 2012 02:14PM

Gerald,
Antanovka will do best with another pollinator and the bunches and bunches red crabapples you have will do a very good job of that.Thanks for the question

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.