Morse Nursery :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Sharing information learned from over 30 years of experience about plants, their care, soil requirements, successful establishment practices and beneficial relationship to wildlife is our primary purpose, however questions about products, root prune techniques and consulting services are welcome as well.  
seedling vs 1 year old grafted select
Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 12:40AM

What is the difference between your hybred pear seedling vs 1 year old grafted select...are they the same tree only a year older in a root trapper vs jiffy container?

If not could you please expain the difference.

Thanks,

Gerald

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seedling vs 1 year old grafted select
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 26, 2013 04:27PM

Gerald,
Seedlings are grown from seed and will have some genetic variances in fruit size and ripening dates but are really pretty close to the parents tree. Seedlings are also in jiffy forestry pellets a little smaller than a can of pop/soda. Grafted select are in root trapper containers and are one year older than the seedlings plus they are grafted, so they will be clones to the parent pear that I write about, meaning your grafted Hybrid Pear will be exactly the same as my tree in terms of fruit size and ripening times.

Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: March 04, 2013 04:07AM

What apple, crabbapple or hybrid pear trees (seedling vs older plants) do you recommend for best results in heavy well drained clay soil for late season attraction from thanksgiving thru mid january for extreme NE Iowa?

Are your 1 year old bunches & bunches red crab grafted as I've read in other posts your graft B-118 are well suited for clay?

If you order TTC can you specify only to include the mid & late season varieties?

What diameter & height of deer tree cages do you recommend?

Currently have a few purple haze planted as seedlings that I expect to begin producing fruit this year or next. Have about a doz red bunches & bunches red crab planted as seedlings...1/4 are out of or almost out of tree shelters while the rest appeared in good health but have grown to only about 2 1/2 ft tall after two full growing seasons. Plant to bury fertilizer paks after the spring thaw on all trees feeling lack of growth is due to either lack of fertilizer or the dificulty of roots developing in heavy well drained clay. If seedling's aren't getting much growth in clay should I be considering replacing them with a different variety better suited for clay grafted on B-118?

Thanks,

Gerald

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: March 06, 2013 03:53PM

Apple trees for late season would be Goldrush, Liberty, Enterprise. Pear would be Morse Hybrid Pear and Seckel Pear as a pollinator. Crabapple would be Whitney crab.
Bunches and Bunches Red Crab are not grafted they are on their own roots and will grow in clay. I graft some Crabapples, like Chestnut, Whitney, Nova Scotia.
Yes, When ordering TTC you can select the varieties you want.
I fence my trees with 2x4" welded wire 5' tall cut in 10' lengths that will make a 3' cylinder.
Tree not growing as fast as others could be several things. It's almost always one of these issues. Low or High pH, weeds, sunlight, to wet or dry for the plants. It could be the clay but I doubt it unless when the holes were dug the side walls got "glazed" and the roots are circling inside the hole. Standard roots or B-118 will grow in clay soils just fine.
One of the most common issues with plants not growing is because of pH. If the pH is to low or to high it won't matter if put the best fertilizer money can buy on your plant, they will not grow because the soil has bound up the nutrients and the plant can't uptake these nutrients. Buy a @#$%& disposable pH tester and adjust the pH to about 6.5 by using pelletized lime. 1/2 pound spread in a 3' circle will adjust the pH by 1. Example pH is 4.5, 1/2 pound will change the pH to 5.5 and 1 pound will change it to 6.5 as a general rule. Don't over due this because as soon as the pH is over 7.5 this will bind the nutrients up again. Pelletized lime will change the pH the quickest taking about 7 months to work. Other forms of lime can take as long as 27 months to work so make sure you use the Pelletized form of lime.

Posted by: ryrymohy ()
Date: April 13, 2018 04:36PM

To get the scholarships and awards from this section is now possible if you are the serious person. Justcontact the administration and find your help with the basic concepts. You can also go with rush essay toget the better charges here.

Posted by: baby1129 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 11:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.