Morse Nursery :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.
Sharing information learned from over 30 years of experience about plants, their care, soil requirements, successful establishment practices and beneficial relationship to wildlife is our primary purpose, however questions about products, root prune techniques and consulting services are welcome as well.  
Protecting new plantings from wildlife
Posted by: m.j.ballard ()
Date: April 15, 2013 07:49AM

I have been doing some research on protecting young trees from Deer after seeing your warning on my receipt. I will be planting in the middle of May as many of the plants I received are leafing out already and I am concern about frost and ground preparation. The general cocensus seems to be that a fence is required to protect Fruit trees (Apple in particular). I have purchased Pear, Nine Bark, and Bayberry so far and intend to purchase some Roselow Crab, Three times a charm, Service Berry, High Bush Cranberry and Thicket Plum closer to my planting date. Will all of these require to be fenced in? Also I wonder what you suggest for the nature of the fencing? The suggestions I have seen online include 4 and 5 foot welded wire on five foot T poles, Plastic Snow fence, and Hardware cloth, with T posts of 4 or 5 foot heights. What do you recomend, I realize that there is a big difference in the budget for each of these, but I am wondering what would be reasonable understanding that not much will keep out a starving Deer. Also I have heard that fruit trees need protection fro mice come winter? What would you suggest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protecting new plantings from wildlife
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: May 11, 2013 02:42PM

I use 2 x 4" welded wire fence that is 5' tall cut in 10' lengths that make 3' cylinders. Apple trees will need something at the base of the tree to protect them from mice. You can paint the bottoms with white latex paint cut 50% with water, tree wraps or hardware cloth with about 1/4" sized mesh. The Ninebark, Bayberry, High bush Cranberry are really browse tolerant but the deer will continually give these a "haircut" every time they walk by so fencing will help these reach mature heights years sooner so I fence them for about 3 years before taking the fencing off just to speed things up. For staking I use 5/8" in thin walled metal electrical conduit that sold by the pound at your local electrical supply house. They come in 10" lengths and I cut them down to 5', this makes great stakes as they don't have splinters and don't break because of a knot in the wood or when hitting a rock. They last longer and are reusable as well. Hope this answers your questions, sorry for the late response, it's our busy time of year with shipping. Thanks for the questions, Charlie.

Posted by: ridgeview72 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 06:43AM

Do not forget weed control...this includes grass competition. It is just as important as protecting from deer, mice & rabbits.

Gerald

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: November 21, 2013 10:33PM

Good point, keeps me on my toes Gerald

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.