Hybrid Oaks :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Let's talk Hybrid Oaks
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: March 28, 2012 09:58PM

That's great Slowfisher, keep us up to date.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slowfisher ()
Date: June 11, 2012 10:39PM

Just an update on the hybrid oaks I purchased this past fall. The temps here in Southeast Texas are starting to really climb. We are hitting mid 90's now with high humidity. These trees seem to be taking the heat as well as any of the other species in the area. We had a few problems with bugs tearing up the leaves but the hybrid oaks have overcome that as well. They have probably grown some in highth but not as much as the first month. Seems like they are busy putting on leaves and I have noticed the bases are getting some girth on them. These trees seem to be doing o.k. in zone 9

Date: June 13, 2012 05:03PM

Slowfisher, that great feedback for others thank you. What is your pH? Texas is known for high pH levels, you may need to adjust this. Let me know and I can help you through the process.

Posted by: slowfisher ()
Date: July 21, 2012 12:03PM

Sorry for the slow response Charlie. I haven't been up to my property where I planted the oaks until yesterday. Looks like their growth has slowed since the last time I posted. I noticed a few of them are showing a little yellowing in on their leaves. Could this be a PH problem or just high summer temperatures? We have gotten plenty of rain in the past month. Unfortunately one of my Schuettes Oaks died. It was probably due to vines growing on top of the seedling and pulling it down and starving of light. I've been so busy I couldn't get down to my place and cut back competition. The area I planted the seedling is also prone to flooding and we have received alot of rain the past few weeks, so maybe that could have something to do with it as well? I will be replacing with some Gobbler Sawtooth Oaks I have growing in pots this fall. Most of the seedlings seem to be doing well. I cut back competition with my machette and I imagine they are establishing their root systems. Looks like all but that one will survive. I haven't checked the PH of my soil. What is the best way to do that?
Thx

Date: November 21, 2013 05:32PM

There are disposable kits now available for about $5.00. Get one and I will explain how ajust the pH so those leaves will green up again. Forum just went on line after some major upgrades to cut out the spam thats been shuting it down.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.