Hybrid Oaks :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.

Dwarf chinquapin vs chinquapin oak
Posted by: slowfisher ()
Date: February 07, 2012 07:04PM

Is the dwarf chinquapin pretty much the same tree as a regualar chinquapin oak? I read where the dwarf chiquapin will sometimes produce acorns at 4 ft tall. Does ths hold true for a regular chinquapin oak? Will it cross with a swamp white oak?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dwarf chinquapin vs chinquapin oak
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 09, 2012 01:09AM

Dwarf Chinkapin is much different than the Chinkapin oak tree. The chinkapin oak (Quercus muehlenbergii) is more like our standard White Oak (Quercus alba) that grows into a very large tree, were Dwarf Chinkapin ( Quercus prinoides) is a bush to small oak tree and produces acorns at much earlier ages than Chinkapin. Chinkapin can cross with Swamp White Oak.

Posted by: slowfisher ()
Date: February 09, 2012 03:14AM

So, have you tried to cross Dwarf Chinkapin with a Bur Oak or Swamp White Oak to get Dwarf Chinkapin Oak traits in a larger tree or is their another hybrid that accomplishes the same thing? I was just thinking along the lines of Burgamble, where the Gamble is a smaller oak but hybridized with Bur Oak, it produces sweet acorns on a larger tree at a faster rate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 03:15AM by slowfisher.

Posted by: LiamCowen ()
Date: July 16, 2018 07:10AM

Dwarf chinquapin is the largest tree in the world and it is found in beech. Let me tell about the superiorpapers reviews in this have detail that how it’s actually tall and where it has been placed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.