Hybrid Oaks :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.

soil type
Posted by: youp ()
Date: June 23, 2008 07:57PM

The place these oaks will be planted is in the Lake Superior snow belt. The soil is several feet of red clay over many feet of sand. Red maple, sugar maple, quaking aspen, yellow birch, red oak, and green ash tend to grow well here. In the spring there tends to be standing water in the low spots. The land is forested and has never been cultivated, giving it a lumpy texture from uprooted ancient trees. Which hybrid will do well?

The existing overstory will be removed to provide sun and rain for the seedlings. What are your recommendations for spacing of new seedlings and how big of an opening should be provided for good growth.

I have found red oaks do well if put into a clearing and surrounding tree allowed to sprout from stumps. I let these grow for several years and then take them down. It seems to produce a nice leader for the red oak.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: soil type
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: June 28, 2008 11:22PM

Youp,
Any of my hybrids with English Oak as one of the parents do well in clay soils. Make sure the pH is at least 6 and not higher than 7.5. Don't amend the soil, make sure you push the clay that came out of the hole back into the hole. The wet sites should be Swamp White oak, Pin oak or Schuettes oak. Spacing of 30' at the closest and the opening needs to be large enough to provide a minimum of 8 hours of sun with full sun being the best for early acorn production. Thanks for the questions!

Posted by: mattmorse ()
Date: April 03, 2009 08:10PM

Hi Charlie,

I will be planting 128 of your hybrids along with 375 bare-root white oaks and 1000 bare-root white pines on a 4 acre field this spring. I noticed in the previous post you recommended 30' spacing. Does this apply to all your hybrids? What spacing would you recommend for my oak/pine mixed planting?

Matt

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: April 07, 2009 01:00AM

Hi Matt,
30' spacing is usually what I recommend as the closest spacing on oaks. There are some oaks like English Fastigate that could be planted at 21' but this would be to close for most naturalized settings. There is no spacing that would be considered to far apart on oaks as they are completely self pollinating. You will need to ask someone more familiar with mixed planting as I have no experience with conifers to give reliable advice. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the subject for Matt but like always thanks for the questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.