Hybrid Oaks :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.

burgambel oak
Posted by: kurly ()
Date: February 17, 2009 02:54PM

Hi morse nursery. I am intrested in your burgambeloaks. what height will they reach? I will be planting them in sandy soil full sun in norther mi (tawas mi). I have planted standard wht oaks on my property and have good success only when I cage them until they grow past the deers browse line or they browse them back every year. thanks kurly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: burgambel oak
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 19, 2009 11:58PM

kurly,
Burgambel oaks can become very large growing to 80+ feet. Even when Gambel a shrub oak is one of the parents. In my description I suggest that this has good potential for food plot boarders because of the influence that Gambel oak might have on the plant but Bur oak has the dominate genes and in most cases this oak will not be a bush but rather a large oak tree.

Posted by: kurly ()
Date: February 23, 2009 02:12PM

Thank's cmorse 80ft should be high enough even though I have foodplots planted on the property I cant grow the deer that big yet. The plots and the fact that I clearcut some of the land 10 years ago[aprox 30 acres popple/maple]has help ease the pressure on my oak seedlings. I have planted evergreens every spring for the last 20yrs on my land with great success. I tried planting oaks first by picking up acorns and throwing them around and even when buried slightly with a shovel I had no success. It seems the deer enjoyed the treats i threw around and dug up the outhers. When i started planting seedlings they were broused to the ground also unless I caged them. It hasent been a total loss I have some white/pin and red oaks that are 10 to 15 ft tall.I would like to plant some of your burgambles what kind of spacing would you recommend. thanks KURLY

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: February 23, 2009 09:57PM

Kurly,
I would plant the Burgambel oaks about 30' apart and protect them with cages or 60" tree tubes.
Thanks for the questions as many people benefit from questions like yours.

Posted by: slowfisher ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:12PM

I bought several of these last fall and planted along a small creek. I did so because I have alot of loblolly pine on my land here in Texas and wanted these trees to be able to get sunlight in case they didn't take on the Bur oak characteristics (developed into a bush), although I am hoping they take on more of the Bur Oak. They are doing well as of today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.