Hybrid Oaks :  Morse Nursery Forum The fastest message board... ever.

Seargants
Posted by: Hunter ()
Date: June 09, 2009 08:34PM

On the seargant oaks, I've planted them in sandy soil, fenced, and put mulch around. How fast do these grow?? After 3 years how tall will they get to on an average?!?!

THX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seargants
Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: June 10, 2009 11:41PM

Hunter,
Well there are lots of variables with pH, soil fertility, and the amount of sunlight being the main factors. If all these factors are good we commonly see trees 12'-15' in five years. I would highly recommend a soil test as they are not expensive, they tell you what you need to know to make decisions on what to add to the soil to help plants grow to their full potential. Sandy soils usually benefit greatly with soil amendments. Thank you for the question!

Posted by: Hunter ()
Date: June 11, 2009 01:49PM

I planted them on a ridge where they get sunlight all day and it's pretty sandy where they're at. I'm sure the PH is low.
What fertilizer (ex.13-13-13) would you recommend?? What age before I can start fertlizing??

Posted by: cmorse ()
Date: June 11, 2009 09:45PM

Hunter,
Sand is very challenging to get plant started, you must commit yourself to watering on a weekly basis for the first establishment year. No fertilizer will work if your pH is to low as the oaks can't uptake the nutrient. I like osmocote slow release with minors and Miracle grow. Fertilize in the spring to avoid hardening off problems in the fall. Thanks for the questions Hunter

Posted by: slowfisher ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:07PM

I bought two Seargants oaks this past fall to get an idea which oaks would grow best in my growing zone here in Texas. Seems like this oak is one of the ones doing the best. Very nice hybrid

Posted by: pexep ()
Date: August 25, 2018 08:59AM

People share recent experiences of their lives on here that is very interesting from others also learn a lot. There are many students who are using research paper writing services help and get best results in finals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.